Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Pretty

Growing up, I was always the ugly kid. I was too skinny. My hair was too short. I didn't wear the right clothes. Somewhere in my twenties, someone told me I was pretty, so I tried. I had pictures taken so I could prove that I once was. Now, in my thirties, I have acne, flab from a baby, and no one checks me out anymore. I can't remember the last time that someone told me I was pretty. Is this the doom of all women? Men get better looking, and women just get old and used up?

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like a cliche, but I think there is something to be said for looking like you have some experience. You're not flabby. You're not ugly. I have never noticed the acne. And I guarantee people still check you out - they are just more subtle about it. Because you are not 15 anymore and they know that "Hey, Baby, What you doin' this weekend?" Won't cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often thought men get distinguished with age, but recently, I have come to see that is not true. I know some men, that our in their thirties & look like they have been beat down.

    My take on pretty is close to yours, but a little twisted, because I grew up a chubby girl. Which is worse being a skinny kid or a chubby kid?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my other thought on this. Women get older and wiser. We allow ourselves to get attached to people, which is what makes life worth living. There are far too many men out there who may become more "dashing" as they get older, but they become more and more detached from the people they care about. Personally, I would rather be ugly and happy.

    ReplyDelete