Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Giving

My first real experience in a big city was when I moved to Atlanta for college. This was the first time I had ever had to worry about my car being stolen. Or ridden a train anywhere. Or had to deal with serious traffic. Most importantly, it was the first time I had ever been face-to-face with the problem of homelessness. When I visited the school in the dead of winter, I cried like a baby when I saw someone asleep on a park bench, covered in newspapers. And I was utterly horrified when I offered to take the leftovers from my job at a restaurant and give them to homeless people, and my manager said I couldn't do it.
Then one day, I was on the train on my way to school when I noticed a woman in tears across from me. She told me that she needed formula for her baby, and didn't know how she was going to get it - and was out looking for a job today. I couldn't imagine seeing your own child hungry and not being able to solve the problem. So I gave her ten dollars. She burst into tears and thanked me about a dozen times. Half an hour after getting off the train, I saw her again. Coming out of the store with a carton of cigarettes, but no baby formula. I felt betrayed and angry that my money had contributed to lung Cancer, rather than feeding a hungry child. For the first time in my life, I understood the perspective of the people who refuse to help people who are begging on the street.
The fact is that there are always going to be people who take advantage of the system. Whether "the system" is welfare, unemployment, disability, or simply the kindness of strangers, you can never be sure that you are really helping someone who needs help. Sometimes, people will take advantage of you. It's horrifying to think that your attempt to help was a waste of time and money. But does this mean we should stop helping?
I spent a couple of months stewing in my anger about the deception on the train. Then one day, on the train again, a man and a woman got on. The man was well dressed and angry-looking. The woman, however, was thin as a rail with sunken eyes, hair that was all over the place, and obvious track marks on her arms. The well-dressed man spoke quietly with her. Although I couldn't hear what he was saying, it was obvious he was extremely unhappy. Without raising her eyes to look at anyone, the woman stood up, showed a hospital bracelet around her wrist, and announced to the train that she was homeless and hungry, and trying to get back home after she had been mugged and gone to the hospital to treat her injuries. She asked if anyone could spare a couple of dollars to help. The man sat down in a seat near the front and watched her every move as she made her way through the aisle, collecting change from the few people who paid attention to her. It occurred to me that this man was her pimp, or her dealer, or someone who was going to make her life a living hell if she didn't give him whatever money he was owed. Although I had no interest in giving this man money, it occurred to me that he may hurt or kill her if I didn't. Call me naive, but I gave her a couple of dollars anyway.
Our country, thanks to the Tea Party and a handful of other key players, is going through a selfish phase. Homeless people are deadbeats. AIDS patients are just reaping what they sow. And starving people in other parts of the world are not our problem, because Americans are the only ones that matter. Somehow, it has become acceptable to sit on our butts in our big houses with our plasma televisions and sports cars, while children in Somalia are starving to death. I was actually told the other day that Somalia could solve their own problems by overthrowing the government. Really? You can't read, know virtually nothing about the government, have no real access to weapons, and....well....there's also the problem that you are 25 years old and weigh 80 pounds, which most likely cuts down on your ability to fight effectively. Did you hear that, starving child in Somalia? It's your fault.
The fact is that as human beings, we all have an obligation to help however we can. You don't have to give away your life savings, but which is going to make more of a difference 20 years from now: If you drop half a million dollars on a gas-guzzling Italian sports car? Or if you take half of that money for a nice, reasonable car, and give the rest to a charity that provides food and clothing for a refugee camp? Which will you remember more: spending the afternoon sitting on the couch watching football? Or volunteering to educate homeless, pregnant teens about how best to ensure that their child is healthy?
The same people who bitch about the fact that the average American gives slightly less than $100 per year in taxes for foreign aid, are often the first to point out that America is the greatest country in the world. And it IS a great country. But it didn't become that way by being selfish and ignoring those in need. If that was the case, this country never would have survived the Depression. Yes, sometimes, we will unwittingly throw away our money for someone who doesn't really need it. But I bet the person who manages to live to see adulthood because of someone else's kindness will appreciate it enough to more than make up for the con artists. It's well worth the risk, in my opinion.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great post.

    I remember you talking about that homeless woman with the baby. I also remember one time when you were on the train, a pigeon flew in, a man tried to kill it, and the whole train ran to the pigeon's aid. You and that train.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the majority of the good stories I have from my time in Atlanta involve MARTA and/or crazy homeless people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem is finding ways to help that are meaningful. I hate giving to large organizations where so much of the money is going to overhead/admin. But on the smaller scale, it's hard to figure out who to help and if it's legit. And it somehow doesn't seem to be put to use when we put our government in charge of it. We've seen so many times that people abuse the generosity of others that I often times find myself very skeptical. BUT I know I have been blessed beyond measure by simply being born in the US and we should strive to find ways to contribute to our society and the betterment of people beyond our front door.

    One of the interesting things we've done as a family for the past few years is go on mission trips. We personally fund the trips ourselves b/c I feel like we are getting just as much out of the trips as the people we are serving. While we have served meals to some of the poorest people in the world, the point is to give them hope. Hope that there is something more, something better, something to look forward to beyond the dire circumstances of their current life. And yet, sometimes that doesn't seem to be enough. Sometimes I feel like we are contributing to the creation of a generation of beggars. So what's the solution? Number 1, I believe that in order to get any better, people's basic needs have to be met. Food, water, clothing have to be provided but beyond that, there has to be a long-term, permanent solution to get people out of their situation and into a better one. That typically involves education or training (which means lots of time!) and the tools or equipment to become self-sufficient. And ultimately the people themselves have to want to change. It might be up to us to show them that there is another way and to teach them the skills they need to be self-sufficient but the individuals must have the desire then to do the work and learn to provide for themselves. And hopefully in doing so, they will then show the same kindness to someone else.

    In America, the most difficult part for me is figuring out who isn’t trying to con me and then trying to figure out how involved I can get. Take for example last week as I was driving my son to school, we passed a lady on the on-ramp to the interstate. It was obvious she’d lived a rough life and likely had nowhere to really go. Part of me wanted to stop and pick her up. Maybe just drive her the couple of exits south to where I was going. Perhaps give her a few dollars for breakfast. But then part of me thought: What if she’s bizarre and acts weird? What if she smells? What if I feel too bad to just leave her at the next exit? What if she’s on drugs? Does it really matter if I give her a few bucks? Surely someone else will stop. Right? I don’t know, I did not stop but part of me felt convicted the rest of the day for not at least attempting to help.

    ReplyDelete